This is a timeline of events in the Troll Hunter universe, separated by years and then days in that year.
Before the 1970sEdit
- Trolls come into existence.
- The Troll Security Service is founded.
- Hans and the Troll Security Service are ordered to kill every single troll in the troll territory of Strynefjell. The year is unspecified as Hans only said it was in the 1970s.
Between the 1970s and the film eventsEdit
- Thomas Schøien, Johanna Pedersen, and Kalle Stensvik are born. The three eventually meet and become close friends.
- The trio of friends are accepted into Volda University College.
Before or during 2008Edit
Before October 13thEdit
- The events of the film Troll Hunter take place and are recorded.
- The Filmkameratene AS receive an anonymous package containing two hard disks with 283 minutes (about 4 hours and 43 minutes) of filmed material. They hire a team of investigators to establish whether this was a practical joke or if the material was authentic.
- A year after being hired, the team of investigators conclude that the filmed material was authentic.
- Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and Director Finn Haugen attend a biannual press conference in Oslo. During it, Stoltenberg confirmed the existence of trolls and indirectly confirmed the existence of the Troll Security Service, which startles Finn Haugen.
- A timeline error is present on Hans’s TSS report form, where it shows he signed the date of the kill as happening on October 9th, 2009 as the date, instead of being 2008 or before. In-universe, it could be explained that Hans simply made a mistake.
- The events of the film must take place before October 13th, 2008, as the disks and footage of their journey from the film are sent to the Filmkameratene AS on that date. However, the date on which the events of the film is left ambiguous, which is why it is referred to as "before or during 2008" in this timeline.